So I'm finally in Rennes. I guess I have been for a few days, but I haven't had much time to sit down and write a post about it.
My host mother's name is Madame E., and she's more like a host grandma but that's cool. =) She lives alone with her cat, and her apartment is very close to the campus and downtown. Just very short bus rides away! So I lucked out there. I can here seagulls from my window, and I'm not sure why, but it might be because of a garden near the apartment. Friday afternoon we walked together to the centre-ville and she pointed out all the old buildings and whatnot. It's pretty gorgeous. Here's a photo of town hall (the Hotel de Ville):
The biggest challenge is figuring out the bus lines and times. I have a feeling she doesn't like to take the bus or metro, so it's kind of confusing, but we're figuring it out together. I got to the centre-ville just fine on my own yesterday morning to meet up with the rest of the group.
We had a short tour of the city, then got lunch. I should have taken a picture because it was so good. I had a galette (like a crepe but not sweet) filled with chicken, spinach, creme fraiche, and had a sunny-side up egg cracked over the top. And an espresso. So delicious. OH AND I WAS SO EXCITED BECAUSE THE CAROUSEL WAS PLAYING BEIRUT SONGS! Beirut is one of my favorite bands. I guess the French like him too! I'll post again in a bit so you can here him. Here's a photo of the carousel:
After lunch we went to buy cell phones which was an adventure... but we got it done. We also got our metro cards for the month so I can use the bus and metro as much as I want for about 30 euro each month. So that's exciting.
After all that I went to Kelin's host family's apartment because of my still unresolved key situation. We have a lot in common so we had a good time practicing French. Then her host mom took us to a free outdoor concert where I met up with my host mother and listened to classical music for free outside in a really nice amphitheater. A weird thing was that for an encore, people started applauding in unison. Does that happen in the United States? Here's a photo. It's not the best because my iPod doesn't take good pictures in anything but sunlight.
Today we're taking a walk in the famous Thabor gardens and possibly going to St. Malo if it's nice. If not, I'll probably hang out with some of the people from CIEE. I hope you find my blogs interesting! Leave feedback if you want to know more! =)
A bientot!
Oh, also, I realize a lot of the french words I am using should have accents, but I am too lazy to look them up and insert them here. Shame on me.
Thanks for the update and pictures. Keep them coming. What does your room look like/view from there.
ReplyDeleteWe watched football yesterday and the Huskers did surprisingly well.
Clapping in unison is what crowds would do asking for an encore sometimes here in the US too. Maybe it just sounds different in France.
Heading out for a trail ride this morning. Seems like it's going to be hot here today.
Love,
Dad
I'm sipping Italian roast coffee while reading your blog. I promise to buy French roast next time. Miss Kitty is stalking fallen leaves and grasshoppers. It's Labor Day here so no work today! What's your host mom's cat's name? Keep writing and sharing whenever you can. It's so much fun to learn what you're doing and how you're feeling. Love ya, Mom H.
ReplyDelete