Monday, September 10, 2012

I'm in love with Dinan.

No, it's not a frenchman, sorry to get all your hopes up.  It is a medieval city located about 45 minutes away from Rennes.  Marie-Paule and Jaques took me there yesterday for the afternoon and I've decided I want to live there. I'm going to buy a tiny medieval house on a cobblestone street and have flowers in my window boxes and lace curtains and walk my dog around town and eat crepes every day and be the happiest person ever.  Yup. I have my future all planned out. I can even work at the chateau-turned-museum they have! (Actually.... that's kind of not a bad idea.....)


All I could think of was how difficult climate-control must be for them without a centralized HVAC system.  I wanted to ask about it but we happened to stay past closing and kind of got shooed out... oops!  It was really neat though.  

The city itself was seriously gorgeous. We walked up an extremely steep cobblestone street to get to the ramparts, and then we walked along the ramparts. Marie-Paule pointed out the "newest" house in town: 1744. Seriously?! I still haven't quite wrapped my head around the fact that I'm in the midst of cities that are older by far than my country.  It's amazing.  Even when I put my hands on the old stones, I can feel all the stories that have happened over the years. Truly mind blowing.
There is a river that is great for kayaking, according to Jaques.

A really sweet model of a ship that made me think of both my Grandpas and Dad!

This wall is older than the United States. The holes they used to pour hot oil on the English are still there, covered with wire mesh for safety!

 Pretty wall and door.

 Can you see the cat?
Me on top of the chateau! (Please ignore the chin breakout... stress of being in a new country and all.)

 Me next to a really old theater!
 The huge bridge which would make mom die if she ever had to cross it. Maybe someday, mom!

 My future home.

Someone even did me the favor of bringing my car over here! Thanks, wonderful stranger!

After all that walking, we stopped at a creperie for - what else? - crepes and cidre. Delicious.  My crepe just had butter and sugar on it, and I probably could have eaten three more.  The cidre was also quite good, the three of us shared a bottle so none of us had very much. 
Mmm, crepe...

Today I registered for my classes! Along with the required language and civ courses, I am officially taking History of France from 1780ish to 1870, Creative Writing (in French), Translation Methods (From French to English, and I'm auditing it so that means no credit, but that's ok), and if I can get in, a C1 level course on the history of Art and Architecture in Bretagne. Sweet!!!

Tonight for dinner we had pizza and wine. It was wonderful. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment