I was scared to do it, because not only did we have to use a real live pumpkin (and not that canned stuff), I was also pretty sure MP didn't have any measuring utensils (I was correct). Not to mention she wanted to cut up the pumpkin into little pieces, remove the skin, and cook it in milk, when I said it might be better to leave the skin on and steam it, then pull the skin off later. Oh well, it ended up working out ok. I'm so glad we at least cooked pretty much the exact amount of pumpkin we needed... MP almost decided we had enough already to make two pies, but I insisted that's not how pumpkin pie works. Phew. MP really liked it, I thought it lacked cinnamon and pumpkiny taste (probably because of too much milk and salt), and MP's friend also really enjoyed it (we brought it to her house for dinner last night.) So, without further ado, the photos of the process:
Cutting the pumpkin up.
Cooking it... I still think it should have just been steamed like the recipe said.
The batter. We didn't add enough sugar either. MP was concerned it was too liquidy but I assured her it was perfectly normal. Oh, and she also added a whole bunch of salt before I could stop her... she likes things "sale sucre" (salty sweet) but I don't think it worked here.
Before the oven!
The finished product!
Even topped with some homemade whipped cream (also with a lot of salt and not a lot of sugar).
Faults aside, I'm proud of it. It tasted pretty good for a first try with real pumpkin, and in France no less.
Oh, and a picture of my Thanksgiving dinner, thanks to my friend Jenny. Looks pretty American to me! And it tasted good!

No comments:
Post a Comment